Categories

Tuesday 3 July 2012

Easy Chickpea Curry

I'm a huge fan of Indian food. I never get sick of it and its good any time of the year. It can get expensive though if you are getting it as take away all the time. I want to save all my pennies for my shoe collection J

This is a super easy recipe for Chickpea Curry that I found here. I adjusted a few things and added some extra ingredients - I have serious issues following a recipe.

I made this yesterday and we ate it today for dinner with some brown basmati rice. I very rarely eat anything I make that day. I’m a huge believer in the whole flavors needing to meld thing. This is something my mummy always talked about when I was growing up. Mother does know best!  I did try some yesterday and it was delicious then, but better today.


What you will need: 

½ Stick of Butter
1 Large onion
2 Tsp ground ginger or ginger paste ( I used the paste)
5 Cloves garlic or 3 TBS of the minced garlic ( I went a little crazy here and added more)
1 TBS sugar or Splenda ( I used Splenda)
2 Tsp Curry powder (Again open for interpretation)
1 Tsp salt
Pepper, to taste
1Tbl Spoon Coconut Oil
1-15 oz Can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1-14.5 oz Can diced tomatoes
1 TBS Lemon juice
1-2 Cups frozen cauliflower
1-2 Handfuls of spinach

*The Coconut Oil and Cauliflower were last minute decisions so they didn't make it into this picture. 




Sautee the onions, and cauliflower in about 1/4 of the stick of butter. You can add more if you want. As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as too much butter. Add the garlic and sautee until it all starts to smell lovely and has that gorgeous caramel colour.



Add all of the dry ingredients and the coconut oil. Now add the remaining ingredients except the spinach. Cook on medium until it starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low and cook for about an hour.



While the curry is simmering, you can start with your rice. Add the spinach. Stir until the spinach wilts and is easily mixed into the sauce.





Serve on basmati rice and you are done! This curry is so tasty and quite pretty to look at since it has all those gorgy colours.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment